Newly crowned IBF world Bantamweight champion Ryan Burnett will meet WBA “Super” bantamweight world champion Zhanat Zhakiyanov on October 21 at SSE Arena in Belfast Northern Ireland.
33 year-old Zhanat “ZZ” Zhakiyanov (27-1,18) of Petropavl, Kazakhstan won the IBO and WBA world title in February 2016 when beat Rau’Shee Warren in Toledo Ohio. Zhakiyanov was down twice in the first round but cameback and rallied to win the fight. IBO title becomes vacant as Zhakiyanov did not pay sanction fee.
25, Ryan Burnett (17-0,9) of Belfast Northern Ireland is the current IBF bantamweight world title. He won the title with twelve round unanimous decision win over former champion Lee Haskins. He dropped Haskins once in round 6 and 11 en route his wide margin decision win.
Rematch between Hassan N’dam N’jikam (36-2, 21) and Ryota Murata (12-1, 9) for WBA world Middleweight title is now official for October 22 at the Ryogoku Kokugikan, in Tokyo Japan following their controversial fight earlier this year at Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo where Hassan N’dam N’jikam captured the WBA Middleweight world champion.
The Cameroon-born N’Dam (36-2, 21 KOs) won on the scorecards of Panama’s Gustavo Padilla (116-111) and Canada’s Hubert Earle (115-112) despite of being knockdown once in early round , but American judge Raul Caiz Jr. scored the fight for Murata by a wide margin (117-110). The 31-year-old Murata, 2012 London Summer Olympics gold medalist Murata lost for the first time as a pro (12-1, 9 KOs) against N’dam N’jikam.
Jorge Linares vs Luke Campbell is official for September 23 at the Forum Inglewood California.
WBA / WBC Diamond and The Ring Magazine world lightweight champion Jorge “El Niño de Oro” Linares (42-3,27) will defend all his three belts against Olympic gold medalist and mandatory challenger Luke “Cool Hand” Campbell (17-1, 14 KOs).
31, Linares of Barinas Venezuela is a four-time world champion in three weight classes, having held the WBA and Ring magazine lightweight titles, and previously the WBC featherweight title, WBA super featherweight title and the WBC lightweight title.
“I am excited to make my return to the United States and to headline an HBO show for the first time,” Linares said. “I know Luke Campbell is a tough competitor with an incredible amateur and professional background, but I am confident that I will emerge victorious on September 23rd.
29, Campbell of Yorkshire, UK represented England and won gold medal at the 2012 Olympics. He is the WBA and WBC number one lightweight contender also the former WBC Silver lightweight title.
“It’s an honor to be fighting Jorge Linares for the WBA World title, WBC Diamond and Ring Magazine titles in one of the biggest fights in the division.” said Luke Campbell. “I’ve worked my way from Olympic champion to the No.1 spot in the WBA and WBC rankings, and I feel now is the time to take my chance. All the pressure is on Jorge headlining back in the States on HBO and I am so confident I am going to leave with all 3 belts – I have tremendous respect for Jorge and this is going to be an unbelievable fight but this is the opportunity I have been waiting for as a professional and I must and will take it on September 23.”
World Boxing Association (WBA) has ordered WBA world “Regular” light heavyweight champ Nathan Cleverly to make a mandatory defense against WBA interim light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol that will determine who will challenge the WBA “Super” world light heavyweight champion Andre Ward but it seems that Cleverly is still undecided for his next step and has not yet agreed to defend his title against Dmitry Bivol.
“Cleverly has not yet agreed. Now that the order has come down, he is obligated to fight with Bivol, and it’s not known what will happen next with Cleverly. There are several options – he can officially fight for the WBA (Super), he can leave the title vacant and then Bivol will fight for this title with someone from the top 15 of the WBA,” Kornilov told Vasily Konov.
“Therefore, it is only clear that the WBA has finally issued the order that Bivol is the mandatory challenger. Regarding Bivol, his next fight is planned to take place in November, most likely in the United States or perhaps in Europe. The negotiations with Cleverly went ahead because of the order, so within a week or two I think everything will be clear.”
There are rumors that Nathan Cleverly is set to defend his title against Bodou Jack on the Floyd Mayweather- Conor McGregor fight undercard on August 26th in Las Vegas Nevada.